Thursday, September 22, 2011

Public Speaking?

"I had no aptitude with the rifle. I could not even bayonet an effigy of Kaiser Bill convincingly. But I was considered 'sharp' and they also discovered that I could run quite fast. So I was selected as company runner, which meant that I was also a kind of servant, I forget the word... Batman.." Page 120 of The Magus


On the last few classes, my fellow classmates bravely stepped forward and each one of us told tales of the beginnings. I know most of us were nervous. (At least I was..) Some of us channeled the nerves to somewhere much positive. For example, drawing on the white board, showing a lot of hand gestures or even tell a joke. The podium was definitely a security blanket.


The Earth Diver myth.. One after another, came up to the front and presented the myth in their own unique way. It didn't matter if it was told over, again and again. It was entertaining how each one was different from the other.


I told the tale of La Llorona "The Weeping Woman". That was told to me by my teammate from Colombia. The stories I hear from my Latin American teammates sure reminds me of home. How my grandparents and parents used to tell my sisters and I old folk stories just so we would behave. And OH HOW WE BEHAVED!!

No comments:

Post a Comment